Monday, November 19, 2007

New Beginnings

I’m 10 weeks into this new life. I moved to SF on Sept 2nd to dig myself into the TE KORU project, and burrow roots into one place for a while. For the past 4 years I’ve been on life’s fast track. Settling into a new place should, reasonably, take several months (maybe more?). I’d gotten used to it occurring in a few weeks. Friends were made quickly. Jobs came easily. And whatever the circumstances of my housing, I quickly adapted to. (Leaky boat? No flushing toilet? Roaches and giant spiders? No problem!). On the road, the vagabond is grateful for a roof (tent...ship’s overhead...), and a bed (sleeping bag...hammock...). I’m learning though, that when trying to pour energy into one place, one passion, a feeling of ‘home’ takes on much more importance.
So after nearly three months, I’m feeling frustrated with being still so unsettled. Life’s details (from apartment hunting [still] to computer problems) are sucking up so much of my time; I’ve been hard-pressed to focus on TE KORU. I have the feeling of still living out of a bag, being a stranger in this town, and stretching thin my financial existence. I’d imagine I could chalk all this up to the fact that, for the first time in my life, I am digging roots. I am no longer a traveler, pausing to explore for a few months. I’m not here to get to know San Francisco, explore the western terrain, or meet other world-wanderers (although these are all tempting distractions). I have one over-arching purpose to my life right now. I’ve been living in observation and reflection for years. Now I’m looking to balance that with action. I suppose it’s reasonable that anything that interferes with my daily reflection and action in this direction would be an annoyance. It triggers me to ask: why is “life” always getting in the way of LIVING??
And here comes that lesson again: patience. Having the world at your fingertips and not devouring it all at once is a tricky one.

So…..clearing aside all the unnecessary details, I’m now focusing on the following:
- putting together the budget
- finding organisations to work with in Latin America
- writing and applying for grants
- creating a website

I’m not overly concerned about the website. I think this blogsite will have to suffice for the time being. At least until I have a grant secured, and the immense amount of time necessary to put towards the site construction.

Again, as always, if anyone has any opinions to share or questions to ask, leave a comment please! Also, ideas and/or time to contribute to the above are equally appreciated. At the moment, I’m working alone to sow these seeds. Any kind of feedback makes for great fodder!

No comments: