Saturday, November 24, 2007

Indulgencia de vida

Sometimes I am daunted by this question: what in the hell would possess me to attempt to create this massive project from….nothing? I have no money. I don’t have a PhD. I’ve never written a grant, nor traveled across continents by motorbike.

When it comes to realizing our dreams, we all have two choices. We can look at what we lack and how far we are from accomplishing our goals, or we can look at all we already have and how much we want to quench these passions. For me, it is a daily struggle. Each morning I have to remind myself of all I’ve already done, and all I am capable of doing. Some days I’m on, and I move 1 step forward. Other days I’m off, and I move, seemingly, nowhere. Keep going. Every step opens new doors. As they say: poco a poco la vieja reja el coco.

So what moves me onward? What is it I search for? Passion, yes. A love for travel, for culture, for a road that unravels beneath two wheels…for connecting with people and hearing different perspectives, for expanding my capacity for understanding. But if that was all I wanted, I could continue to travel the way I have. There is something more going on here.

Travel is a self-indulgent act. And that’s ok. It is often necessary to indulge the spirit. It helps us to face the difficult times - to see the forest for the trees, so to speak. Hopefully though, we come to seek a balance. Can I indulge in my passions and give back at the same time? Hell! Why not? I say, have your cake and eat it too. Just share with your neighbors while you do.

And so I ask myself a different question: What am I hoping to accomplish? I mean, aside from world peace and the enlightenment of humankind. : )

The answer: dialog.

More on this soon.

Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: